A PLACE THAT IS TRULY MIND BLOWING!

When the rustling leaves perish into the earth and all that is left is the white calm of winter, it is best to loose yourself in the tranquility of the mountains. Blowing rock, is such a perfect escape.

dsc_0292
©thedeardiaryblog2016

My man decided to whisk me to the ski slopes for a Valentines day adventure, little did he know that I would gain mastery in the art of falling with skies on! (Mostly while trying to stand up!)

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

We visited the Appalachian ski mountain, if you don’t have your own gear (including ski suite, gloves, googles), it can all be rented there but it is best to go packed with warm (waterproof) clothes. If you are a newbie at skiing like us, you can attend the group or private lessons available at specific hours. They have different types of entry options, you can opt for a half day or full day pass.

img-20160213-wa0061
©thedeardiaryblog2016

We stayed in a classic wooden mountain lodge, decorated with cabin inspired drapes and cushions, equipped with an electric fireplace, which completed the ‘winter vacation feeling’ by keeping us warm and toasty.

IMG-20160212-WA0034.jpg
The lodge ©thedeardiaryblog2016

Apart from my  unsuccessful yet relentless efforts to ski, this trip was one straight out of a fairy tale. Christmas decorations still lingered at places biding farewell to the cold winter. Snow flakes started to cover our tracks as we explored the adorable little downtown.

20160214_131046
Blowing rock downtown ©thedeardiaryblog2016

Blowing rock is approximately a 2 hour drive from Charlotte and 3 hours from Raleigh. The downtown is a small street lined with boutique shops and lively eating joints. We later visited this town in the summer as well and found the ambience equally inviting and fun.

There are many recommendations for things to see in these quaint little shops. Right from the start, there are places like Cabin fever that sells beautiful decor pieces etc for creating the perfect mountain retreat. The fragrance sachets from this place take me back to the woods even months after our visit. There is an amazing collection of flavored Olive oil in this store called ‘Rustic’ (sister store of the ‘Art of oil’ in Boone,NC). Quirky to cute these people have an array of shops selling antiques and collectibles that can click with your individual personality.

As Indians, we have a special favoritism for spices and tea so finding a little shop called ‘The spice and tea exchange’ in downtown was simply fantastic! We purchased their best selling Tuscany spice that can be paired with a variety of dishes and the Maharaja blend of tea which is basically a good masala tea mix.

20160214_185455-1
Our little treasures from Blowing rock ©thedeardiaryblog2016

When the chilly winds grew stronger we took a food break and sat there sipping hot chocolate at the six pence pub! A British-inspired pub offering a lengthy drinks list & a menu of American & English comfort fare. Its easy to appreciate the snow laced beauty of the mountains (even with ski sore body ache) if there is a hot cup of chocolate in your hands. Who wouldn’t agree chocolate always makes life better! A sweet end to a sweet fairy tale trip.

20160214_132204
Cheers to hot chocolate in a pub 🙂 ©thedeardiaryblog2016
20160212_211751
@Blowing rock Ale house and Inn©thedeardiaryblog2016

22 Comments Add yours

1. Zarrin Alam says:

Oh my gosh! I didn’t realize Blowing Rock had an actual town, I literally thought it was a rock haha good to know!

Liked by 1 person

1. Safaniya A Stevenson says:

LOL!!! That is so funny! Yes, people live IN Blowing Rock. Not just ON the rock. hahaha!

Liked by 1 person

2. Hehe… It is an adorable town, you should visit 🙂

2. Safaniya A Stevenson says:

Finding good hot chocolate is a pub of all places?! I’m down with that. I hope you didn’t get too many bumps and bruises from your ski experience. haha.

Liked by 1 person

1. hehe… I did get a few bumps and bruises but nothing that a hot cup of chocolate couldn’t fix!

3. Ashley says:

This is too cute! That was so sweet of him to surprise you with a trip and it looks like such a fun, romantic place.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you Ashley, I will pass on the compliment … & yes it is a really fun romantic place especially during the winters.

4. yourorganizedlifewithdaria says:

Oh! Wow! That sounds so lovely! Now I want to visit. I especially want one of those sachets and to visit the tea store. It’s been years since I’ve been to Blowing Rock and apparently it’s time to return!

Liked by 1 person

1. You should plan a visit, trust me the sachets and tea store are worth the trip! Hope you have a great time 🙂

5. SobeSavvy says:

What a darling post about your wonderful weekend. So fun!

Liked by 1 person

6. Omg so fun! You look so cute. Sounds like an amazing time 🙂

-xoxo, Azanique
    LotsofSass.com

Liked by 1 person

7. Kenya says:

That was super sweet! Being from Ohio snow is never a thought for a getaway for me. LOL

Liked by 1 person

1. LOL… my next post should be about a sunny beach escape then 🙂

8. Trés Belle says:

What an ADORABLE Valentine’s idea!! I spent a lot of my childhood in Blowing Rock and just adore it. Art of Oil is one of my favorites too!

Liked by 1 person

9. Breena Blake says:

I love reviews on places to visiting in NC! I really want to check this place out.

1. You will really enjoy this place, I keep posting about our road trips in NC, hope you enjoy reading the other posts as well.

10. Lee says:

This is such a great valentines day.
    xo, Lee